Dear Monsoon supporters,
We are all in the midst of responding appropriately to the COVID-19 pandemic as it spreads in our communities.
At Monsoon, we are committed to serving survivors of gender-based violence seamlessly even as we strive to keep ourselves safe and in good physical and mental health. We also urge everyone to consider this a threat on a community level and not only on an individual one, thus keeping a collective goal of public growth and development in mind.
Please be assured of the following:
- Starting today, Monday, March 16, Monsoon will provide direct services to survivors based on their needs and safety but will limit in-person meetings. Advocates will try to meet with survivors via phone and video conferencing as much as possible.
- Monsoon continues being vigilant in its own sanitation and screening efforts at its offices in Des Moines and Iowa City.
- When required to meet in person with victims, advocates will ensure all parties follow the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention safety guidelines of washing hands and maintaining a “safe” distance from one another.
- Because most criminal and civil jury trials have been postponed in Iowa, advocates will work with survivors on addressing legal appointments in an efficient and effective manner. The same approach will be taken with medical advocacy, employment issues, housing needs, including shelters, and access to government benefits.
- Advocates will coordinate and co-advocate remotely with other service providers as much as possible.
- If survivors need counseling or health guidance, advocates are prepared to serve them as well as provide referrals and resources that can be accessed easily.
- For those seeking assistance for the first time, advocates will respond over the office phones (515-288-0881; 319-466-9000) or the helpline (866-881-4641) about available services.
- Call first before conducting any walk-ins at Monsoon’s offices in Des Moines and Iowa City.
- All Monsoon events have been suspended until further notice. However, our outreach and education projects will be shifted online and provided through digital technologies, such as webinars and social media.
We will remain in touch and keep you updated about Monsoon as we move forward. We wish you all the very best.
Monsoon Asians and Pacific Islanders in Solidarity